Get PostgreSQL installed as part of the distros

Lars Pind lars@pinds.com
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:31:40 -0400

Alesh-

Actually, we haven't planned on addressing this, since we're not in the =
business of providing end-user support. Rather, we rely on people either =
learning how to maintain things themselves or hiring someone who knows. =
But then again, our toolkit is not aimed at end-users, it's aimed at =
developers who want to build web applications.

What we're after is to make it easy to get our software installed and =
start playing around with it, without any need to learn anything to get =
the first page served. I'd hope that the PosgreSQL group would do their =
best to make maintenance easy.

Btw, speaking of interchangeable RBMS's, that path is unfortunately not =
possible for us. The differences between different RDBMS products are =
too large for us to even try that. We rely heavily on procedural =
programming in the database. Also, the differences in areas like outer =
joins, referential integrity, object-relational features, the handling =
of long strings and maximum key lengths, just to name a few, make it =
difficult to use one database as a drop-in replacement for another. =
Porting to a new DB is far from a mechanical process. It requires =
ingenuity in coming up with workarounds for the deficiencies of one =
RDBMS vis-a-vis another, and generally requires that our entire =
datamodel is rewritten.

/Lars

----- Original Message -----=20