Multi-user gnucash: owner/group

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:31:25 +1100

Rich Shepard writes:
 >   Now that I have gnucash running on both networked hosts, I have a question
 > about the overall design.
 >
 >   When I created the directory and the initial file, I made the owner "root"
 > and the group "users". This way, both of us could access the file. However,
 > as my wife works on entering accounts and saves the file, it's saved under
 > that same owner.group, but there are a slew of *.xac files with her
 > username.group. What's the story of those files? Are they temporary files
 > that need to be manually cleaned out after each section?

We have been extremely conservative in our approach, because we don't
want to lose data.  At the end of each session, a new .xac file is
saved.  If you are confident that the current file retains its integrity,
you can happily delete the other ones.

The next version of gnucash will use a different scheme for
maintaining differences between files.

 >   It appears, too, that the .LCK and .LNK files don't release when we're
 > done with the program. Are we doing something wrong here?

That's odd.  Are you exiting the program using the normal "exit"
command?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net