conversion from DEM to EUR

Herbert Thoma tma@iis.fhg.de
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:17:29 +0200

Poldi Winkler wrote:

> Am Sam, 02 Sep 2000 schrieben Sie:
> > Poldi Winkler writes:
> > > Hello,
> > > I have imported my data from the last years out of Quicken and also
> > > out of moneydance to gnucash 1.4.4. It was running - more or less -
> > > without any bigger problems. Now I am looking for a possibility to
> > > convert the data from DEM to EUR, is it possible and how can I do it?
> >
> > Do you mean convert every amount that is in DEM to an amount in EUR?
> >
> > There is no automated way to do this, though it wouldn't be too hard
> > to do since we do store all the exchange rates for EU currencies.
> >
> > dave
> >
> Yes, that is what I mean. Have you seen the message from David
> Keegan? All the people in most of the West European countries have
> this problem, to convert every old amount from the old national
> currency to EURO. I hope anybody has a good idea.
> Regards
> Poldi

Hi all!

First: I did the current (very limited) EURO suport in GnuCash.
I want to improve the EURO/multiple currency suport. However,
I want this since at least 3 months, but I have been to busy at
work to actually do it :-(.

As dave said, it should not be too difficult to write some scheme
code which converts all amounts to EURO (and link to the other
account via an appropriate currency account).

However, I think, I will not convert any old transactons to EURO.
These were DEM (or IRP, or whatever) transactions and the account
statements (paper, from the bank) are DEM. I don't think that
I want this converted to EURO. Instead I will create a new
set of accounts in EURO. The day the bank account is converted
to EURO (most probably 1.1.2002), I will transfer the DEM balance
to the corresponding EURO account.

This is my personal opinion only! You are free to do it any
other way.
--
Herbert Thoma
FhG-IIS A, Studio Department