Reconciliation RFE

mikep@crt.com mikep@crt.com
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 07:23:36 -0500

I manage my checking account in a similiar fashion as the "envelope" system.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the 'envelope' system  of
budgeting you use envelopes label for different budget catergories and put
the budgeted amount into the envelope and then only spend what is in the
envelope.  I use 4 bank registers instead.  One is for deposits, another is
my wife's, one is mine and another is for long term items such as
infrequently paid bills (ie. property tax, etc).  Each pay check goes into
the deposits register and then I disperse from it to they other three based
on the amount budgeted for each area.

I thought I could handle this basicly the same way using GnuCash by creating
a Checking Account and then creating subaccounts for my 4 areas.
Technically, this is possible but when it comes to reconciling it does not
work and would be nearly impossible to do.

My request for enhancement is for the ability to include subaccounts in the
reconciling process of a parent account.  Would this be possible?  Would it
make sense to have this ability?  How difficult would it be?  I may consider
attempting to implement this as it would make my life much easier in this
regard.  I maintain the checking account and I find myself double entering
the info, first into the register and then into GnuCash.  If this
functionality could be implemented I would reduce it greatly because I would
be able to track it in GnuCash and not have to maintain the paper version.

Thanks,
Mike