Memo Field Strange behavior

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 02:46:46 -0700

Terry writes:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > Terry writes:
> > > Another quirk I have noticed - duplicate a transaction and edit the memo
> > > field, then record the edited transaction. Close the register window and
> open
> > > the register window for the account on the "other end" of the transation
> just
> > > duplicated and edited. The memo field displays in the original unedited f
> orm.
> > > Same transaction.  I am using "double line" style in the register window.
> > >
> > > Is this correct behavior? It doesn't seem reasonable to have the memo cha
> nge
> > > one account register window and yet  not change in the register window fo
> r th
> > > other account?
> >
> > This it due to the fact that memo fields are associated with splits,
> > not transactions. The memo field displayed in double-line mode is that
> > of the split debiting the open account. When you open the 'other end'
> > you see the memo field of the other split.
> >
> > dave
>

> Is it possible to attach a memo to a transaction at all? I do very few
> "splits", but I "comment" on practically all "transactions" in the memo field

Currently no, but I do see the benefit of that. Once our new file format
is in place, I will look into doing that.

> If the memo field is associated with the splits and the transaction has no
> splits then how can the field be associated with a non-existent split?? Why
> display a memo field at all until the user initiates a split? Displaying a me

All transactions have splits. A transaction which involves writing a check
generally has two splits, one crediting the checking account and one
debiting another account, often an Expense account.

dave