new text format for HTML files

Niklaus Giger ngiger@mus.ch
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:10:39 +0200

I have investigated a little bit about the new SGML format.

a) In the 1.5 release I tried to make the output files and had good results
with the following commands
(I have installed sgmltools-2 from debian)

cd doc/sgml/C
ln -s ../../html/C/image/*.gif .
sgmltools -b dvi gnucash.sgml
sgmltools -b pdf gnucash.sgml
sgmltools -b rtf gnucash.sgml

Before I made the links to *.gif I could execute
ps2pdf gnucash.ps
With the links to all *.gif, it crashes

There are still to many complaints about
The resulting output were 174 pages in ps/dvi/pdf format and about 120 in
*.rtf. I had no trouble to read the gnucash.rtf in Word 97 on my Mac.
Abiword crashed while reading it.

Tomorrow I will print these documents in the office and have a closer look at
them.

b) In order to create SGML-docs I see two solutions. Either you use (X)Emacs
or on Linux only LyX supports LinuxDoc (but not docbook-) SGML files.
Personally I like LyX and I think it is a very good frontend for LaTeX. But
in this case we should use LinuxDoc till  somebody has a support for Docbook.
In my opinion XML is still to early to be adopted right now.

c) Shouldn't the *.gif be transformed into the .png format, as the
*.gif-files have some license problems ? I think it would cost me ten minutes
on my Mac to transform then using GraphicConverter.

Regards

--
Niklaus Giger
Wieshoschet 6