request: encryption support on file open/save

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
07 Sep 2000 08:38:17 -0400

Robert Graham Merkel <rgmerk@mira.net> writes:

> That all sounds quite solid reasoning to me.  I've taken a security
> class, which didn't teach us all that much about how to design
> secure systems, but was quite good at showing just how easy it was
> to make insecure ones.

Yea..  I do computer security for a living (I do Linux hacking in my
free time ;) It is way too easy for someone to create an insecure
system.  There are just too many pitfalls for someone to fall into.

Mind if I ask where you took a class and who taught it?

> Of course, I hope that anyone who encrypts their gnucash data
> remembers to also encrypt their swap file . . .

Well, if you have enough RAM this isn't an issue... ;)

There was a good paper at Usenix Security Symposium last month
about Swapfile Encryption.  The code may even be available..
Please, don't ask me for a URL, I don't have one.