Why doesn't `configure' recognize my gtkhtml headers and libraries?

Eric Hanchrow offby1@blarg.net
14 Sep 2000 09:50:49 -0700

I'm trying to build GnuCash from CVS.

I couldn't get "configure" to complete, because it said (rightly) that
I didn't have the gtkhtml library.  So then I looked around to see
where I could get that library from.  The README file says

  gtkhtml: version 0.4 and later should work. You can obtain the
    latest version of gtkhtml from Helix Code.

but that's not helpful, since it doesn't give an exact URL, and I
couldn't find the proper package from poking around on helixcode.com.
I use Debian 2.2, and I couldn't find an appropriate package in their
distribution, either.  So my first question is:

        * From where ought one get the gtkhtml library?

After a while, I noticed that the *unstable* release of Debian indeed
had a package called `libgtkhtml-dev', so I installed that (along with
libgtkhtml4, upon which it depended).  I figured all my troubles would
be over, but `configure' still complained thusly:

    checking for gtk_html_new in -lgtkhtml... no
    configure: error: Cannot find gtkhtml.  See the README for more info.

This is weird, since

    09:47:28 [offby1@offby1 gnucash]$ nm /usr/lib/libgtkhtml.a | egrep gtk_html_new
    00002510 T gtk_html_new
             U gtk_html_new

So my second question is:

        * Why isn't `configure' happy on my box?

and its obvious corollary:

        * How do I get this source to compile?

Thanks!

--
PGP Fingerprint: 3E7B A3F3 96CA 8958 ACC5  C8BD 6337 0041 C01C 5276