Backup and log files

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 01:31:11 +1100

Volker Stuerzl writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > is there any possibility to change the behaviour of creating backup and
 > log files in GnuCash 1.4.1? It's very annoying to have dozens of those
 > files laying around in my working directory. I would prefer a behaviour
 > like in XEmacs for example: only _one_ backup file containing the
 > previously saved version of the file.

We've deliberately been very conservative about this, as we believe
that dozens of files lying around is better than file curruption going
undetected until a few revisions and no older uncorrupted copy is
available.  As 1.4.x is now in bugfix-only mode, I doubt that we'd be
prepared to change this behaviour.

However, the new development series is going to switch over to a new
file format which will make this problem largely go away.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net