Local libraries

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:07:33 -0700

Gerald Champagne writes:
> I've just compiled the latest version from CVS, and I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> ./gnucash: error in loading shared libraries: ./gnucash: undefined symbol: gn
> c_locale_decimal_places
>
> I think I know what's going on and I'm hoping someone can explain the fix.
>
> The CVS version that I am running is in a subdirectory of my home directory
> and I also have gnucash version 1.4x installed globally on the system.  It
> looks like gnucash is trying to reference the library /usr/lib/libgncengine,
> but I want it to reference my local copy of the library.  How do I tell it to
> use the local copy of the library?  I know I could run ldconfig and specify m
> local directory, but that has to be done as root, and the changes would be
> made globally.
>
> So I guess my question is a general Linux question.  How do you specify a
> local library path without becoming root and making that change globally?

The gnucash build system expects to run gnucash from the location where
it has been installed, not the cvs directory. You should install the
cvs version ('make install') and run it from there.

If you want to have more than one installation of gnucash, use the
--prefix argument to ./autogen.sh to specify a different install
location.

I use

./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnucash

Others like /usr/local/opt/gnucash