Another bug

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:01:54 +1100

Arnold Troeger writes:
 > Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
 >
 > > Phillip Shelton writes:
 > >  > I do not yet have a machine that I can use to look at or use your code, but
 > >  > when a library function appears to stuff up I would look for somewhere that
 > >  > you are overstepping some array bound especially if you malloc the array
 > >  > space.
 > >  >
 > >  > Phill
 > >  >
 > > Yes, that's definitely a possibility.  Pain in the rear to find though :(

 > Just a thought, but have you tried Purify or ElectricFence on the code in
 > question?  I've used Purify in the past on programs with array bounding problems
 > and it worked great.  It saved me several days of tracking down memory problems.
 > Purify is a commercial product that runs on Solaris but ElectricFence is supposed
 > to be able to do the same thing, it runs on Linux and it's free.  I've not used
 > ElectricFence so I can't comment on how much pain is involved there, but Purify
 > was very easy to use.

I'm going to give it a whirl right now.  Thanks for the tip.

If you're able to recompile *everything* your code links to, there's
also checker, which is the ant's pants for this sort of thing, but,
like I said, requires *everything* to be recompiled to suit itself.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net