Problems with transaction cut/paste

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:43:37 -0700

Gary Bickford writes:
> Folks,
> I have a couple of problems to report with 1.4.2.  These may have been
> fixed already in 1.5.1?
>
>   1. The pasted transaction had lost both the date and the ID number.
>       Since I cut instead of copy, I didn't know what the invoice no.
>      and date were any more.  So I had to look them up in the old
>      paperwork and re-enter that data.

I had originally thought that copying a transaction shouldn't
use the old date or id number, since it's a 'new' transaction.
But that's probably too confusing. I'll change it to keep the
date and number, too.

>   2. If I didn't previously select the empty transaction in the target
>      account, it silently wrote over whatever was selected, obliterating
>      existing transactions without any warning or complaint.

Right, I'll fix that.

>   3. There was an issue with debit vs. credit - everything seems to have
>      come into to the pasted account on the wrong side - this may have
>      to do with my setup or the very long chain of interactions between
>      my Palm and GNUcash

Could you give a more specific example?

>   4. There's no undo, so I couldn't go back after making these changes.
>       I also didn't recall what existed in the transactions that got
>      written over, so I'll have to go back and regenerate those
>      transactions from old paperwork. (It took me a couple of times to
>      realize what was happening.)

Sorry for your trouble. Real-time undo is very hard to do. When we
have the logging mechanism working you will be able to 'undo' by
reloading only a portion of the log.

dave