Problems with transaction cut/paste

Gary Bickford garyb@fxt.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:49:46 -0700

Dave Peticolas wrote:

> Gary Bickford writes:
>
> >   3. There was an issue with debit vs. credit - everything seems to have
> >      come into to the pasted account on the wrong side - this may have
> >      to do with my setup or the very long chain of interactions between
> >      my Palm and GNUcash
>
> Could you give a more specific example?

Next time I try this I'll see what I can figure out.  With the other problems
I was having, I really wasn't sure that anything was wrong or my head was
just not on straight!! :O)

> >   4. There's no undo, so I couldn't go back after making these changes.
> >       I also didn't recall what existed in the transactions that got
> >      written over, so I'll have to go back and regenerate those
> >      transactions from old paperwork. (It took me a couple of times to
> >      realize what was happening.)
>
> Sorry for your trouble. Real-time undo is very hard to do. When we
> have the logging mechanism working you will be able to 'undo' by
> reloading only a portion of the log.

Even if you could only undo the very last thing one did that would be
beneficial.  Taking your logging idea, a very long time ago I worked with a
text editor that remembered every keystroke and mouseclick (if it caused a
relevant action), from the time you opened the file.  This was the log.  You
could save this transcript, and replay it from the backup file, single
stepping if necessary.  If the program crashed, the only thing you lost was
whatever would have been saved in the last block of the transcript file.
This allowed me in one case to recover hours of work that I had neglected to
save (duh!!)  Is that how these logs work?