Dimensions?

Tom K. Weckstrom Tom.K.Weckstrom@F-Secure.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:51:39 +0300

This was not the root of the problem.
I know it is possible to manage even quite complex aacoint treees like you
suggested, and roll-ups work fine in GnuCash as far as I have used them.

The problem is, if I happened to have two totally different aspects to the
expenses.
For example:

Expenses:Clothes:Shoes
Expenses:Clothes:Hats
Expenses:Clothes:Socks
Expenses:Clothes:Jackets
-------
Expenses:Sports:Sports-wear
Expenses:Sports:Licenses
Expenses:Sports:Excercise-shift-fees
Expenses:Sports:Equipment-rents
-------
Expenses:Rents:Home
Expenses:Rents:Sports
Expenses:Rents:Equipment-rents

Now, how do I make one sigle purchase of sports shoes visible in:
Expenses:Clothes:Shoes
AND
Expenses:Sports:Sports-wear
and in their respective roll-up-sums, too?

Another examples can be generated from the above account structure.
E.g. I bought a sports jacket. I want to see the expense in two different reports:

Expenses:Clothes:Jackets
Expenses:Sports:Sports-wear

A third one can be generated from the Equipment-rents. I'll leave that as an
exercise. ;-)

I know that like this my reports would show way bigger sums than what I would have
actually spent. That problem could be avoided by making the roll-ups only include
the transactions with their "primary" dimension on the respective account, and
only take the "lower level" dimension transactions into account in reports - if
desired.

Hope this clarified my idea.

Regards,
            Tom

--
Tom Krister Weckström            tel     +358 9 8599 0133
F-Secure Corporation          http://www.F-Secure.com

F-Secure products: Securing the Mobile Distributed Enterprise