double entry and accounting equation

Judah <milgram@cgpp.com> cgpp@cgpp.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Terry Boon wrote:

>    assets + liabilities + equity = 0.
>
> This seems quite reasonable to me.

In other words change the sign on what Gnucash calls 'equity' and
'liabilities' and you get the equations in the books.

I guess that makes sense.
I'm still a bit  worried about what  happens  when I hand my books over to
an accountant, who might be unwilling to look at things any other way
than the  standard. "why are you bothering with this shareware nonsense,
just buy Peachtree and don't call back until you do", you get the picture.

(But after using Gnucash for a while it  appears I won't need to hire an
accountant anytime soon :)

It would also be nice to be able to have everything agree with what you
read in the "how to do accounting" books without mental translation.  But
I'm willing to live with that.

The underlying problem is that I (as perhaps many)  am using Gnucash to
learn accounting in the first place. Maybe someone can suggest a good
book that will minimize the confusion.

Judah