Revisiting the database

Gary Bickford garyb@fxt.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:36:11 -0700

That was quick!!  :O)  OK, you caught me.  I estimated, based on the fact that the
local grocery store now sells 500 MHz PCs for under $500 with rebate.

However the MySQL data is based on a single processor 350 MHz PII (three years
old).  Folks who are used to watching Access grind away for hours can be surprised
by the performance of a real, tuned ISAM database.

I can't see anyone having an accounting system large enough for performance to be a
significant issue.  On the contrary, I would be very surprised if a db-based
GNUCash weren't faster than the present system for large account sets.  For small
ones, either approach would do but the maintenance and robustness points would
still stand.

Thanks for your intellectual rigor as well as your position!!  :O)
GB