adjust balance bug? (1.4.6)

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:03:33 -0700

Alesh Mustar writes:
> I have an account, type is Bank and the balance is negative (lets say
> -50,000).
> I register some transactions for the day and then I click the Account
> menu, then Adjust balance, type in -56,000 for the current day (for which
> the transactions have been made) and I have a new balance of -92,000
> (should be what I typed, -56,000).
> What causes this bug (if it is a bug, I also could be mistaken) is that if
> there are any transactions for the day the adjust balance won't work, it
> has to be moved to the next day).
>
> If I set the date of the balance adjustment to the next day, the new
> balance is ok (-56,000). Also entering any transactions for the next day
> doesn't "brake" the balance adjustment.
>
> Can someone confirm this?

Yes, the adjust balance dialog doesn't do the right thing.
In fact, it almost always does the wrong thing, and it is
going away.

If your records are correct, you will never need to use the
adjust balance window. If they are not, you are better off
fixing the transactions which are incorrect than using the
adjust balance window.

dave