adjust balance bug? (1.4.6)

Gordon Oliver gordo@pincoya.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:04:27 -0700

> Alesh Mustar writes:
> > Dave,
> >
> > even if my records are correct, there can always be a situation where I
> > can loose a piece of paper and not record it and want to adjust the
> > balance, but there is no problem of doing this by hand (by using the
> > calculator).
> >
> > Why not keep the adjust balance in and fix it?
>
> To me, the current incarnation of the adjust balance window doesn't
> make any sense. The semantics of the window are "make the account
> balance on date X be Y", where X and Y are entered by the user.
> Or at least, that's what it tries to do.
>
> But how often do you know what the balance was supposed to be on a
> specific date X in the past without knowing the transactions which
> contributed to that balance?

leading to another question...

Is someone currently fixing the problem where the number of shares bought
is calculated as opposed to exact? (I presume this is the problem.) This is the
one place that I'd like to use an adjust balance... Of course if the values are
correct, I wouldn't need it :-(

The problem manifests itself in a stock account, where the number of shares
sometimes is off by an lsb, and no matter what I try, it doesn't want to correct
itself...

Outside of that it shouldn't be necessary.
	-gordo