1.6/2.0 release schedule request

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:53:52 -0700

Christian Stimming writes:

> The current CVS offers quite a bunch of cool new features, and it seems
> the number is growing big enough to justify a new major release soon.
>
> Recently I posted an article on IRC, "Why KDE works", written by
> well-known Telsa, http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/Trips/Talks/lca-kde.html
> and upon other things the article emphasizes the importance of a
> release schedule: "Schedules: not a popular word in free software. But you
> need them in big projects. The KDE I release was painful enough that now
> they have a release guy whose job is to flame any developer who keeps
> changing things after dates. So now, 2.1 has passed feature freeze, passed
> string freeze, then it's bug-fixing, then the "four eyes principle": any
> change, any at all, must be looked at by four eyes before hitting CVS. "
>
> I would like to ask Dave and/or Bill to set up a release schedule for a
> new stable release. IMHO it is realistic to schedule a feature freeze for
> mid-May.

We will be posting a release schedule soon. Mid-May might be a bit
optimistic, but maybe.

> BTW I think we would have had enough features to justify a 1.6 release
> already some weeks ago: New file format, new reporting infrastructure, QIF
> import, Guppi integration, to name a few, would have totally justified a
> stable release called 1.6. We could have postponed more features to a
> later release, e.g. pricedb, configurable main window, compiled scheme
> etc. Now we are going to change quite a lot of things in one batch. Maybe
> this in turn justifies the version number 2.0 for the upcoming release.

FYI, the pricedb is absolutely requied for 1.6. Without it, we are
throwing away the price information in 1.4.x due to the changes in the
engine, i.e., splits now store shares & values, not shares & prices.

Also, we wanted to save 2.0 for the version with both budgeting and
scheduled transactions.

> Why do I ask for this? Because I finally want to have a stable version to
> work with which has all those nifty reports that I contributed over the
> last 6 months. And because I like GnuCash.

Believe me, no one wants to see 1.6 more than I do :)

dave