Currency conversion.

Peter M. Eggers peter.m.eggers@boeing.com
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:15:02 -0700

I am brand new to GnuCash, currently a Quick Books/Windows user looking
to convert to GnuCash on my new Linux installation.

In reviewing the documentation, I am very impressed!  The one problem
that I have with my old version of Quick Books is being able to treat
amounts as simple units with a separate units type per account,
preferably with a category override.  This is so I can enter for
instance 187.3, with default units of miles, and a current default
conversion factor of $.325/mile applied to convert to the default
currency for the account/category.  The GUI would then display $60.87,
but store 187.3, .325, and $/mile.  The other common non currency amount
that comes to mind is hours.  If one was to enhance GnuCash later on do
estimating (construction in particular with all of the different
price/units), this feature would be invaluable.

The whole concept of fluctuating price per unit for different time
periods and/or entities (i.e. customers) encompasses the concept of
currencies, securities, material costs, milage reimbursements, and
billable time.  To implement, it requires making all amounts a three
field structure (amount, conversion factor, and enumerated conversion
type (i.e. $/hour)).  Actually, you could get by with an amount and
enumerated type, but you lose some historical / auditing information.

Peter M. Eggers