subtotals in reports; accounts with children and transactions

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:22:34 -0700

The "Include Subaccount's balances" report option is confusing and/or
doesn't do what we want. The implementation of this in
gnc:html-build-acct-tree as well. We'll change that, and this is what we
discussed tonight.

Once again we had the question whether it makes sense at all to have
accounts with children in the hierarchy (non-leaf accounts) with
transactions in them. goonie and I strongly vote for NO. We might never be
enforcing such a rule. But in the long run we should consider adding a
flag to the account structure where the user can specify "I'll not be
using this account for transactions, only as parent-account". This would
be a feature for post-1.6.

On Thursday 05 April 2001 01:58, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> Ok, given accounts
>
> Rob's Liabilities $500
>     Credit Card   $100
>     Bank Loan     $1000
>

> total liabilities are $1600.

Currently, this is shown like this:
<report1>
Rob's Liabilities
    Credit Card  $100
    Bank Loan   $1000
Total Rob's Liabilities $1600
</report1>

But we would also like to show it like this:
<report2>
Rob's Liabilities $500
    Credit Card $100
    Bank Loan  $1000
Total Rob's Liabilities $1600
</report2>

goonie and I agreed that this should be de/activated by a seperate option,
"Show parent balances" or something like this. (show-parent-balances? in
gnc:html-build-acct-tree)

Additionally, we want to show both above configurations without the
"Total" line, i.e.
<report3>
Rob's Liabilities $500
    Credit Card $100
    Bank Loan  $1000
</report3>

and report1 accordingly:
<report4>
Rob's Liabilities
    Credit Card $100
    Bank Loan  $1000
</report4>

This makes sense if, what's the case with most people, your parent (i.e.
non-leaf) accounts don't have any transactions, hence their balances are
always zero. It doesn't make too much sense in this example, though.

We agreed that this is another option, "show parent subtotals" or
something the like (show-parent-totals? in gnc:html-build-acct-tree).

Christian