Books/Accounting Periods proposal

Linas Vepstas linas@backlot.linas.org
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:55:33 -0500

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 11:50:48AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> I, too, like plan A.  However instead of thinking about files, I'd
> prefer if we did keep things in the abstract 'book'.  A book could be

Yes.  Although its kind of hacked up at the moment, and needs cleaning,=20
writing to a 'file' is just another 'backend'.  The splitting-up operation
I propose all happens above this interface.

(However, the naming convention for the different 'files' should be consist=
ent
with what different backends allow-- and I'm not clear on that ...)

> don't know, and you shouldn't care.  However, whatever we do should be
> something that is tied into the backend.  It would be nice if closing
> books might even be a backend function, rather than an engine
> function.  I'm not sure.

Good point.  I'd forgotten.  The sql backend might function more effiiecien=
tly if
things weren't split up. ...

--linas

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD