importing bank qif file

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:02:27 -0500

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 03:45:55PM -0600, Nathan A. Smith wrote:
> I have been trying to import a qif file from my bank online service.
> However, when I try to I get an error about it not being a qif file.
> The versions of Quicken that are supported is 99 and up.

The problem is most likely that the file does not start with an
exclamation point.  The first line in the QIF file should be something
like

!Account

or

!Type:Bank

with no white space before it.  You may need to pop the file into an
editor to make it behave.  If that's not the problem, contact me
privately and I'll try to fix it.

Many banks download abominably bad QIF files.  There aren't any
general problems with Gnucash and later versions of QIF files.

b.g.