converting qfx files to qif

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:33:17 -0500

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:06:29PM -0400, Peter Dolloff was heard to remark:
> Hello there
>=20
> I'm sending 3 ofx/qfx files to you.  The first two are
> named cibc.ofx and cibcvisa.ofx.  They are from the
> Canadian Bank of Commerce.  The first one is from a
> standard checking account, the second contains
> transactions from a VISA account.  It's weird that
> there actually differences between these two files
> even though they're from the same financial
> institution.
>=20
> The third file is from the Royal Bank of Canada.  In
> all cases, I have changed the account numbers to all
> 9's.

Thanks, I checked thse in.

I am disappointed in the USE OF CAPTIAL LETTERS; although=20
some are mixed case.

I am much, much more sore in the lack of a double-entry/ledger
format; I suspect this is a screw-up on the part of the OFX=20
standard.  How can Microsoft, Quicken and Checkfree (the=20
authors of ofx) blow it so badly?

If gnucash imports these files, it will be painful, possibly
more painful than QIF's !! We'll know what bank, bank account=20
number, and currency things come from (and this is good, an=20
improvement over QIF), but we don't know where things are going
to.  Maybe we can guess that anything with the string 'ATM' in=20
the memo should transfer to a cash account.  Human intervention is
unavoidable  when there is a check made out to HEB groceries:
neither gnucash nor the bank can make a valid guess.  But I am=20
disappointed that the automatic withdrawls (electronic funds=20
transfers) don't indicate the account name/number/'financial=20
institution id' where the money is going to.    Even in the=20
case of hand-written checks: it would be nice to know what=20
the bank & account number was where the check was deposited.=20
That way, we could automate things: whenever gnucash saw
the account number for 'home depot' gnucash could guess that
it goes into the 'home improvement' account.  As it is, human=20
intervention will be required for any ofx import. Arghhhh!

--linas

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--