RFC: Constraints on Cash accounts

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:16:40 +1100

Bill Gribble wrote:
 > On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 07:39, Conrad Canterford wrote:
 >> 2. If the (decimal) amount entered is not an exact multiple, it
 >> silently  rounds to the nearest exact multiple.
 > I would expect that the warning would come when you try to commit the
 > transaction.  It won't be balanced, because one split will be rounded
 > to the nearest $0.05 and the other won't.  Does this not happen?

Sorry. You are correct, I was just too focused on what I was
looking at and forgetting the wider picture. I think a warning at the
point of transaction commit is quite suitable.

 >>For a start, we'd be guessing that "round-to-nearest" is the correct
 >>behaviour and this needn't be the case for all currencies.
 > What do you mean?   This isn't a financial rule, it's a data-entry
 > rule.

Well, the way I was thinking at the time, there may be cases where the
financial rules specifiy something other than "round-to-nearest"
("always-round-down" being the most likely). The example is: In
Australia a final transaction total of $23.98 becomes $24.00 under our
legislation. If the legislature had chosen "always-round-down" (as I
have been told in passing that some countries have done) this would
become $23.95 instead.
However, I now conclude that this is irrelevant for our purposes, since
we are only interested in recording the final value of the transaction
($23.95 or $24.00). If someone wants to record the rounding details,
this is not the means to do so.

Alright. So this means that the only things this requires is: (1) to
modify the Account Options to allow changes to the SCU and a "Force
display as decimal" option, and (2) to modify the display code to
display as decimal when the "Force display as decimal" option is set.

Are there any other issues I've missed? Any other comments, suggestions?

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  url - http://www.watersprite.com.au/