Feature

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
06 Dec 2001 23:49:45 -0800

--=-D2pQeeLCOuIxqqHcQh4o

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 23:41, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 13:37, 'Mike' M Palczewski wrote:
> >=20
> > I have a feature that I would like to propose for gnucash. Instead of
> > opening the registers in seperate windows, how about having them open t=
he
> > same way that the report windows open in the tabbed interface, and the =
ones
> > that were open when you last opened gnucash would remain open later.
> > Is anyone intereseted in such a feature?
> > Did I explain it well?
> > Would a patch implementing this be accepted?
> >=20
>=20
> Personally I dont think this is a great idea from a UI perspective.
> Tabbed views tend to be confusing as you are not visually separating
> differing functions of the interface and it also makes it much harder to
> do things like compare transactions in different accounts. Tabbed views
> work great when you are using them for things like preferences, ie tasks

The phrase 'tabbed view' doesn't really do justice to the MDI interface
that GnuCash uses. You can create multiple top-level windows with
multiple panes, so you could still have registers open into new
top-level windows. And the great thing is that there is a lot of
infrastructure to help us save & reload window configurations so
commonly-openened registers could be opened automatically.

dave

--=-D2pQeeLCOuIxqqHcQh4o

--=-D2pQeeLCOuIxqqHcQh4o--