Scheduled Transaction Templates

Tim Wunder twunder@iwmail.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:11:42 -0500

I've been playing around with SX "templates" where I create an SX with a set
of variables to get filled in when the SX becomes due. I've run into these
roadblocks, though:

1. The variables don't seem to like being blank, or 0. If I have blank
variables, the SX will not complete. If I change then to 0.01, the SX will
complete. It seems logical to me that blank variables would be treated as 0
and 0 value variables should be acceptable. Maybe I'm missing something...

2. I can't seem to use ordinary math functions within the variables (+/-).
Say I've created a variable for Food/Groceries and have several Food/Grocery
line items to add together. It wold certainly be convenient to just enter the
line ites separated by '+' and have the variable get calculated. Unless,
again, I'm missing something...

3. If I press <Tab>, the cursor should go to the next variable entry block,
but it doesn't. I've gotta hit tab twice.

4. Where variables get most cumbersome is when entering a credit card SX.
I've tried to list all potential accounts that my Credit Card payment is
going to need to update. But, invariably, something special will come up. It
sure would be nice to have a screen where I can finalize the transaction, add
accounts/amounts prior to posting it. As it stands now, that's done from
within the Checking account, which I suppose is OK. But it sure would be
nicer if it could be done from within the SX dialog.

5. I'd like to be able to post an SX even if it's outside the time frame
assigned to it. Say an SX is scheduled to run 7 days prior to a particular
date. I'd like to be able to run it 8, or 10 days prior without bringing up
the SX dialog and editing it.

BTW, I've finally updated from CVS, so I'm current. Doesn't look like jsled's
gotten to do much with SXs, though. I guess he's fairly busy with other
things. I wish I could lend a hand with coding, but I'm not much of a
programmer. I know a little C++, but most of my coding experience is with BBx
(Business Basic). If I knew what section of the code was handling this stuff,
I might be able to make a little sense out of it. Possibly even contribute
some code to address some of this. Then again, probly not.

Anyway... I'll continue to work with it and post any suggestions or problems
I might have.

Thanks,
Tim