Generalized Query?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
16 Dec 2001 17:33:26 -0500

Hi,

I've been thinking about the problem of a generalized query,
but I haven't made any headway.  The reason I haven't been
able to make much headway is that queries can be so different
that, say, a query on the customer database looks nothing
like the query on an account.  However, there may be times
when you want to search on something like:

	return all customers where invoice charges account A

I'm wondering if we really want a unified query, or if what we
really want is a query framework so that each type of object
can define its' own query terms and predicates?

I haven't put many neurons into this problem, yet -- I was
wondering if anyone else has?