Generalized Query?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
17 Dec 2001 19:36:58 -0500

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> > I'm wondering if we really want a unified query, or if what we
> > really want is a query framework so that each type of object
> > can define its' own query terms and predicates?
>
> What would be the difference?

Well, does Query.h/Query.c need to know about every object (e.g.
Transaction, GncCustomer, Split, GncEntry, etc) or is it a
framework so that each new object can "plug in" its own query
terms?

> > I haven't put many neurons into this problem, yet -- I was
> > wondering if anyone else has?
>
> I haven't really thought about it either, but it seems to me
> that you would want to be able to combine terms from different
> kinds of objects.

True, but where do you find the query terms for the different
kinds of objects?

My issue is that currently the code in src/engine knows nothing
about the business objects.  I'd like to keep it that way.
Unforutnately the Query is the current sticking point.