meeting log January 30, 2001

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:18:09 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Tyson Dowd said:

> Exceptions also involve more complicated control transfer.  Consider:

Yes, you're right, I should be more careful. I have to rephrase to say
that an error stack solves an interesting subset of the problem that
should be sufficeint for our needs.  Doing the setjmp() implementation
scares me: the implementation is prone to subtleties of behaviour, and
it also makes using gdb and other debuggin hard, and finally, it
potentially makes our code more complex and harder to read.   And the
reason I like the error stack is that it makes code easier to read:
no more checking return values on each and every function, & trying to
deal with super-extremely unlikely errors over & over again, all
through the code.

--linas