"Hello, World" report crashes Gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
28 Feb 2001 10:58:18 -0500

grib@gnumatic.com (Bill Gribble) writes:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:15:59AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > No, the previous error was when I clicked on the 'Help' button while
> > trying to create a new security (stock).  You're right that gtkhtml
> > might be a red-herring.
>
> Ah, I didn't see that you had clicked on the Help button.  Sorry.
> That does make it more likely that the problem is gtkhtml-related.
> Let me go back and check some version issues.  It's likely that if
> your version of gtkhtml is quite old it probably doesn't have a number
> of bug fixes and features that I added to it.  I believe the current
> stable release is 0.8.2, and my patches went into the 0.8.0 release.

Like I said, I'm running 0.4-3k, which is what comes with RH 6.2.
There are no RH 6.2 updates to this package.

> > Are you implying that Gnucash only plans to support the power-users
> > running bleeding-edge software?
>
> No.  I'm just saying that the 1.5.x series of gnucash is for
> development, and we should be coding for the APIs that will be
> standard and current when we release.  That means they are bleeding
> edge while we are developing, but stable when we release.  Is it
> really that onerous to expect people to have a Helix (sorry, Ximian)
> Gnome system that they can install with a single command?

Well, it depends on the development cycle.  I do believe that it is
onerous to require everyone who wants to use Gnucash to upgrade to the
most recent release of software just to run Gnucash.  Instead, I
believe that we should pick a "base system" that is required when
Gnucash is released (perhaps that "base system" is RH 7, although I
would certainly prefer RH 6.2 [obviously Debian, SuSE, and non-Linux
systems would be different]) and make sure that Gnucash runs on
whatever that base system is.  I would hope that the base-system is
not released concurrently with Gnucash.  Indeed, the base system MUST
be at least a year old when Gnucash is released, otherwise Gnucash
would have no reasonable user base.