"Hello, World" report crashes Gnucash

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:30:28 -0600

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 11:13:12AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> So you're willing to wait a year after the Gnucash release for major
> Linux distributions to pick up the new version of Gnome and users to
> upgrade to the newer versions of Linux, all before they can run
> Gnucash?  That's insane!

Don't play stupid.  Of course we aren't waiting a year.  When we
release we will explicitly list the libraries you need to install
gnucash.  When we ship a CD it will have the appropriate libraries on
it, and if we are installing on a brain damaged system like Red Hat
that doesn't support library versioning properly we install them in a
playground so Gnucash can find them without messing up other apps.  If
we are installing on a sensible system we install the new version of
the library alongside the old one, or ask the user if it's OK to
upgrade systemwide.

Installing software means you install its dependencies.  What is so
complicated about that?  Red Hat 6.2 doesn't come stock with gnucash,
does it?  you are violating your "pure RH 6.2 system" to install it at
all.  Give me a break on the pure RH 6.2.

> Sigh.  I suppose I can live without reports.

if you are living without reports, it's because you are being
obstinate about it.  Upgrade your freaking gnome system and quit
sighing.

b.g.