"Hello, World" report crashes Gnucash

James LewisMoss jimdres@mindspring.com
28 Feb 2001 14:08:09 -0500

 Derek> grib@gnumatic.com (Bill Gribble) writes:
 >> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:58:18AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
 >> > I would hope that the base-system is not released concurrently
 >> > with Gnucash.  Indeed, the base system MUST be at least a year
 >> > old when Gnucash is released, otherwise Gnucash would have no
 >> > reasonable user base.
 >>
 >> I strongly disagree.  I think gnucash should be coded for the next
 >> stable release of the Gnome components (1.4).

 Derek> So you're willing to wait a year after the Gnucash release for
 Derek> major Linux distributions to pick up the new version of Gnome
 Derek> and users to upgrade to the newer versions of Linux, all
 Derek> before they can run Gnucash?  That's insane!

No.  The better option is to statically compile libs like this, but I
agree with Bill.  If the amount of dancing we have to go through to
support some old beta version of a library is too intense (adding ugly
code to work around bugs, etc) we are better off not supporting the
old lib.

 >> Your version of gtkhtml won't work with Gnucash, sorry.

 Derek> Sigh.  I suppose I can live without reports.

Once the world is stable we'll produce packages with things statically
compiled.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!