Access Controls

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:23:22 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that David Merrill said:

> I read this again and changed my mind, and I'll tell you why...
>
> When a record is changed, it is moved to the audit table, and a new
> record is generated. That means a new GUID as well. So if the record
> exists in the transaction table, it is necessarily the same "original"
> data.

Maybe we are using guid's for too many conflicting purposes?

It seems that we need another identifier that says
'this is the same record, even though we've been editing it.'

For example, don't splits store the guid's of thier parent accounts?
If you edit an account, and issue it a new guid, don't you have to
walk a zillion splits to update thier guid's as well ??

--linas