user roles

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:02:08 -0500

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 07:33:28PM -0500, Eugene Tyurin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 04:02:24PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > David, a good start...
> >
> > David Merrill <dmerrill@lupercalia.net> writes:
> >
> > > We need to determine what level of granularity we want to provide for
> > > user permissions. Here is a simple set of permissions to start with.
> > > Tell me what I've missed:
> > >
> > > - system administration (manage entire system)
> > > - corporate administration (manage one set of books)
> > > - account administration (manage a single account)
> > > - account data entry (add/delete/update records in an account)
> >
> > I would think that add, delete, and update might be split into three
> > different sets of permissions.  I may give a secretary permission to
> > add entries, but I dont want him/her to be able to change or even
> > worse delete entries.
>
> Now,  this is  the dark  forest we  get into  when we  start playing
> "enterprise class" database-backed software.
>
> 1. Nothing  can  be  *deleted*.   Entries  can  only  be  voided  or
> superceded,  but  they  have  to  remain in  the  database  for  the
> audit/logging purposes.
>
> 2. All database  entries (even  superceded ones) must  be associated
> with the userid  and time of creation.   This way a user  can give a
> date to the  program and obtain an exact snapshot  of the books.

Both of these are under design right now. See
http://www.lupercalia.net/gnc-db/ for all my documentation and
scripts.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

To attempt an understanding of Muad'Dib without understanding his mortal
enemies, the Harkonnens, is to attempt seeing Truth without knowing Falsehood.
It is the attempt to see the Light without knowing Darkness. It cannot be.
		-- from "Manual of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan