[offtopic] marshalling

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:23:35 -0600 (CST)

Never mind,  I just answered my own question.

I just looked at the xml schema draft and realized they'd solved the
type issue there.  So, to answer my own question, a new IDL langauge
is not needed, because xml schemas allow types to be specified.

This seems to be the important new feature that schemas have that
DTD's don't, that allow things like soap to happen.

It's been rumoured that linas@linas.org said:

> > > Here's the question: if one writes a soap dtd/schema in the M$
> > > framework, it will then auto-generate language bindings for several
> > > languages? (i.e. they treat the  soap dtd/schema as an IDL for
> > > all practical purposes? OR did they invent some new IDL language?)

--linas