user roles

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:09:53 -0500

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 08:36:48PM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Allow me to poke my nose into this discussion as well, if that's OK.
>
> There is a generalization of groups & acl's called 'workflow'
> that wouldn't be inappropriate for this system.  I won't argue that
> 'it must be done', but would like to ask you to take a moment &
> understand what its about & how it works.  In many ways, its
> *a lot* like acls, but introduces an additional and very powerful
> abstraction.  I think the earlier emails catch *most* of the idea,
> without actually mentioning the word 'workflow'.
>
> For a fuller picture, see http://www.linas.org/linux/workflow.html
> and the links it points to.  I'll try to put it in the gnucash
> framework below (but I'm kind of glossing over some details here):

Thank you for poking your nose in. I am using different terminology
but the same method.

It is an interesting question for UI design, though. We need to decide
whether "workflow", "group", "role" or something entirely different
will be the most natural and intuitive for users. But that is entirely
a client decision.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

We all come from the Goddess