scripting language vs. developer community size

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
15 Jan 2001 17:31:00 -0600

grib@gnumatic.com (Bill Gribble) writes:

> I've written big programs in C, C++, Common LISP, and Scheme, and
> small programs in lots and lots of languages.  For working on big
> programs, right at this time I can't think of any way I'd rather do
> it than as a combination of Scheme and C.  Scheme is the kind of
> language that brings joy to programming (for me) and C is the
> universal binding language, so if you can put them together there's
> nothing you can't do more-or-less in style.

I don't think I need to elaborate much on this, but I will say that
really learning Scheme (many thanks to Dr. Paul Wilson for that one),
and then using it, has, over time, substantially widened my concept of
how things can and *ought* to be when trying to mechanically convert
ideas into implementations.  Many of the popular languages are
painfully weak by comparison.

I had similar experiences with haskell, prolog, etc., but scheme is
the only one that had enough of a foot in the three worlds of power,
elegance, and practicality, to keep me committed to it for large
projects.

FWIW