scripting language vs. developer community size

Dan Kegel dank@alumni.caltech.edu
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:16:55 -0800

Ariel Rios wrote:

> > I think this is a little bit disingenuous.  Nobody outside the
> > gnucash-devel list is requiring gnucash to use Scheme, least of all
> > RMS; in point of fact, hardly any GNU projects actually use Scheme
> > anyway, despite several years of drum-beating to get it to happen.
> False. Many GNOME applications use Scheme via guile or even
> using SIOD (as the GIMP)

The Gimp's not the greatest example for your purposes, since they
just defected from the pure-scheme camp; they now allow people to
write scripts in perl.  Anyone want to take bets on the ratio between
the number of plugins written in the next year for Gimp in the two languages?

By the way, I went and bought a Scheme book today at my favorite technical
bookstore (Op-Amp Books in Los Angeles).  I asked the clerk where the Scheme
books were and he sniggered... there was an entire wall of C++ books,
and just four books about Scheme (three, if you don't count duplicates).
Now I'm reading about car, cdr, caar, cddr, cadr, cdar, and the like.
How nice that all the keywords of the language are so intuitive and high-level,
uninfluenced by the hardware the language originally ran on.

- Dan