how to create nice HTML tables in reports?

Clark Jones jones@inficad.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:01:07 -0700

Christian Stimming wrote:
[...]
> I think this solution looks a bit more sound than the rather ad-hoc

I like this solution, but for a reason that many "web developers" neglect.
This relies on the web-browser to do the "size" calculations based on the
actual font being used.  This means that, as page-writer, you can request
a font relative to the end-user's selection of "default" and it will come
out nice.

I know that one of the things that irks me is that GUI systems ass/u/me
that everything should be displayed in a constant number of pixels, and
oh, if I get a higher resolution monitor/video card, I _simply MUST_ want
everything displayed smaller.  The problem is that my vision isn't any
better than it was with the previous monitor/video card (in fact, it's
worse) and I would ___MUCH___ prefer to simply see more sharply-rendered
characters, maybe a little _bigger_ if nothing else.

If you use a font size relative to _my_ default, then suddenly _I_ have
control over how it gets displayed on my screen, and I can set my browser
to a large enough default so that I can read it comfortably (rather than
making colorful, if unlikely, suggestions as to the ancestry of [and
sexual practices thereof] of the person who wrote the code).

(BTW, I'm writing this using 18 pt. default.  :-)

						Clark
--
Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily
those of anyone else.  (As if anyone else would want them!)

Internet: jones@inficad.com		RF: KI7TU
ICBM: 33 22' 01" N 111 43' 52" W	Home Page: www.inficad.com/~jones