pre-design-doc budgeting notes [long]

Clark Jones jones@inficad.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:52:28 -0700

Joshua Sled wrote:

[...]
> BudgetCategories [BCats] are the categorical entries of the budget,
> used for both income and expense.  They have a name, and probably a
> description.  A recurring income or expense, at least, has a frequency
> of recurrence:
>
> enum RecurrenceEnum {
>         DAILY,
>         WEEKLY,
>         BI_WEEKLY,
>         MONTHLY,
>         QUARTERLY,
>         YEARLY,
> };

I haven't read the whole thing, but this caught my eye.  I'm wondering
if an enum might not be too restrictive here.  You've already missed at
least one frequency that applies to me, to wit, SEMI_MONTHLY.  My paychecks
come on the 15th and last day of the month.  There are a lot of companies
in the U.S. that use this pay cycle, at least for salaried employees.

Come to think about it, I also have at least one expense that is SEMI_YEARLY:
my auto insurance (November and May on one vehicle, July and January on the
other).

						Clark
--
Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily
those of anyone else.  (As if anyone else would want them!)

Internet: jones@inficad.com		RF: KI7TU
ICBM: 33 22' 01" N 111 43' 52" W	Home Page: www.inficad.com/~jones