reporting/account currencies

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:09:38 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Christian Stimming said:

> But in the current implementation nothing related to accounts is called
> "reporting currency", so it is confusing to start with that now.

Yes, and part of my proposal is to change the name.  To avoid future
confusion.

> Do you
> mean the currency (more precisely: commodity) returned by
> xaccAccountGetCurrency? If yes,

Yes. This should be renamed to "xaccAccountGetReportingCurrency"
in the short term, and (accoording to plan X) eliminated in the
long term.

> then this will be replaced by the
> commodity returned by xaccAccountGetCommodity which is, in fact, the
> currency formerly known as account security.

No.  Because this returns the "wrong thing".  For an ibm stock
account, it would return IBM.  Whereas both the main window, and
the register need USD (the "reporting currency").

BTW, I just added xaccAccountGetCommodity() this last weekend,
before I realized how hard the whole problem really was.

--linas