reporting currencies & integrity

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:34:00 -0800

 writes:

> Plan X:
> Rip out any notion of "reporting currency" out of the engine.
> As discussed above, this is a lot of work.  Hard work, at that.
>
> Plan Y:
> Leave the reporting currency inside the engine, as it is today.
> Maybe  even enhance it so that multiple reporting currencies
> are supported, and can be switched bewteen quickly and easily.
>
> There is a certain amount of intellectual clarity to Plan X that
> Plan Y seems to lack.  At least, that's how I intepret Bill's
> pummelling.   However, Plan Y is easier to muddle one's way
> through, since that's how the code works today.

Yes, but it doesn't really 'work' in the sense that it is easy
to generate a report in a single currency. That is the real
problem we need to solve, I think.

> I'm concerned that Plan X could be a lot of hard, burn-out work,
> only to get back to where we are right now in terms of function.

But it *would* get us much farther than we are now, I think.
Specifically, it would give us infrastructure for doing
currency conversions, which we completely lack atm.

dave