How to keep 1.4.8 & build development version?

Jonathan David Wheelhouse whsjnd@globalfreeway.com.au
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:15:14 +1100

Hi

My basic question is as the subject says: I want to have both a
development version and a production version of gnucash.

Some more explanation:

I have gnucash 1.4.8 which I want to keep on using; don't want to
trust my data to the latest development version.

I got the latest sources via cvs and attempted the autogen.sh.
I installed all the missing libraries (so many!) until I got to

configure: warning: guile check failed
configure: error:

  g-wrap does not appear to be installed correctly, or is not new
  enough.  Right now gnucash requires at least version 1.1.5 to build.
  If you need to install g-wrap, you can find it at
  ftp://ftp.gnucash.org/pub/g-wrap.

So I ftp'd libgwrapguile-dev_1.1.8-0.1_i386.deb and
libgwrapguile2_1.1.8-0.1_i386.deb. (I run Debian sid, btw.)

I copied the debs to /var/cache/apt/archives.

dpkg -i libgwrapguile2...  But, can't install libgwrapguile2 because
it conflicts with libgwrapguile0; I cannot remove libgwrapguile0
because gnucash 1.4.8 depends on it.

So, how do I build the development version and not have it conflict
with the existing 1.4.8?

A 2nd related question: what's the normal procedure after you've done
the cvs update thing?  make, configure, what?

And how do I specify where the binary goes or what's called so it
won't conflict with 1.4.8?

Jonathan