Some questions

Niklaus Giger ngiger@mus.ch
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:11:03 +0100

I was very busy in other projects so I never could really start the german
translation, but that might change in the near future as starting with this
year we really use gnucash for our bookkeeping. And my wife's reactions are
not quite good, even if gnucash is still not as good as the best macintosh
(swiss german) program CashBook we used. Unfortunately this program was
totally broken starting with 1.1.2000.

I am looking again at the german translation and have the following questions:
de.po has 1448 entries in 1.4.10 but only 1032 in 1.5.x

I think there are a lot of unnecessary entries in 1.4.10. It would be nice to
get rid of them.

I have the feeling that everything related to the TXF-report is highly
US-specific as tax laws vary greatly from county to country (and here in
Switzerland we even have 26 cantons with different tax laws). I suggest
therefore to split country specifc entries into a different .po file.

You spend a lot of effort into importing Quicken files, but all accounting
programs I have seen here in Europe had the ability to export (and sometimes
also import) their records in an easy to grasp ASCII representation (tab
delimited).  Why does this kind of import/export possibilities not show up in
the 1.5.x-series? I think it would be 10% of effort compared to the silly and
inconsistend quicken format.

Regards.
--
Niklaus Giger