transfer time

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:51:10 -0500

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 02:28:23PM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 July 2001 10:42, Ulrich Schenck wrote:
> > In gnucash it is only possible to define one date for that
> > transfer. Is there any possibility to get at both accounts the
> > right date without using a third account?
>
> I think the only "real" solution would be to have an "account
> receivable" (A/R, in german: "Forderungen" IIRC) account on the
> asset side.

The transaction needs to have a single date, because it's a single
financial "event" (a transfer of funds).  Certainly the realities of
the banking system can spread out the effects of the event over
several days... that's what the "Cleared" state of the Reconcile flag
for each split is supposed to capture.  There should be a way to edit
for each split the Cleared date, but there's not at this time.

If knowing the exact time spreads between the execution of the
transaction and the bank activity is important, you should do as
Christian suggests and use an Accounts Payable and/or an Accounts
Receivable account. A/P is a Liability account (money that you owe to
other people, such as bills that you have received but not paid) and
A/R is an Asset (money owed to you by others).

I'm not sure what the Correct intermediate account is for transfers
between two of your own assets.  They are neither payable nor
receivable, but both :) I'll ask my accounting consultant person when
I see her next.

Thanks,
Bill Gribble