bleeding distributed beans

Aaron Peromsik aperomsik@mail.com
18 Jul 2001 00:51:12 -0400

g> The only way this will work is if you stop writing against
g> bleeding-edge software.  No true distribution worth its beans is going
g> to be using bleeding-edge software.  For example, Red Hat may support
g> Gnome 1.4 in RH 7.2..  Maybe.  I don't know if they will or not.  But
g> since Gnucash requires it, if they dont upgrade gnome then they can't
g> distribute gnucash 1.6.x.

Mandrake 8 already shipped with Gnome 1.4, although not quite a recent
enough build to support the current builds of gnucash.  Mandrake
Cooker already includes gnucash-1.6.1, which means it will be in
Mandrake 8.1 whenever that's released. But I don't know what your
standards are... how many beans is Mandrake worth in your world view?

Regardless of your answer, most "normal" people who can't be bothered
with so-called "dependency hell" *are* going to wait until their
distro of choice ships the latest gnucash before they try it. I think
that's the distro houses' job.

The real question is, how much developer input are we losing from
people who want to help but don't want to mess with the latest
libs... and how does that weigh against time saved by taking advantage
of what those libs have to offer.

-- Aaron