Sync with gnome releases

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:50:14 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:26:33PM -0500, Matthew Vanecek was heard to remark:
> On 17 Jul 2001 12:42:28 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > I don't know, maybe I'm concerned over nothing, but it just makes my head
> > hurt to read all these emails along the lines of 'i can't install this caus'a
> > that'.
> >

> You will never, ever, ever stop seeing those.  My God, man, I see that
> problem at work continually--ON WINDOWS! of all things!!  If people can

Hmm. Well then.  One of the things we Linux folks have been proud about
is that unlike windows, we have a rational shared library aka dll subsystem.
On windows, I was used to installing a new tcpip stack only to discover the
some other app got broken or worse, the machine wouldn't boot any more.

Maybe the pace of development has gotten so fast that the varius package
maintainers have gotten sloppy, and are building inconsistent/clashing
packages. (debian unstable is no exception, I cant install evolution because
it requires libgal6 but there is no libgal6 in debian unstable...)

--linas