Sync with gnome releases

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:49:34 -0500

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 03:12:16PM -0700, Dave Peticolas was heard to remark:
> On 18 Jul 2001 17:03:44 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > problem, and the gui problem.  Let me list the spectrum of solutions,
> > so we can try them on for size:
> >
> > A: 100% homegrown: gnucash stores adresses in internal format, creates
> > B: use e.g evolution addressbook GUI, but store adrressses in internal
> > C: use homegrown gui, but store adresses in 'evolution' format.
> >
> > Thus, you see my preference for B.  I'm trying to be reasonable, it
> > just seems that B is the best choice.  I mean, A is good too, but
> > its depressingly stale.
>
> What if we used LDAP directly? That would allow us to use Evolution's
> GUI as a bonobo component, but would also allow access from Evolution
> directly, and from other applications that also support LDAP.

Uhh, I suppose, in some certain sense, that would be ideal.  Presumably,
we can tell evo-bonobo that 'here we are, we're an ldap server at port
33889', and hopefully evolution supports editing and update to ldap
servers.   I haven't successfully used evolution ldap.

(I note that bigfoot has surnames/given-names reversed in 50% of the
cases, and lots of stale emails, while the other servers are usually
unreachable or down :-(

--linas

--
Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/