Sync with gnome releases

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:07:49 -0500

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:39:27PM -0500, Bill Gribble was heard to remark:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:49:34PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > What if we used LDAP directly? That would allow us to use Evolution's
> > > GUI as a bonobo component, but would also allow access from Evolution
> > > directly, and from other applications that also support LDAP.
> >
> > Uhh, I suppose, in some certain sense, that would be ideal.  Presumably,
> > we can tell evo-bonobo that 'here we are, we're an ldap server at port
> > 33889', and hopefully evolution supports editing and update to ldap
> > servers.   I haven't successfully used evolution ldap.
>
> I interpreted Dave's request the opposite way: gnucash is an LDAP
> client, just like Evolution, and they both work with the enterprise
> LDAP server.  Request info, update info, etc.

Uhh, no, just the opposite.  As stated in other note, basically,
you can't trust data in the public servers, and private servers are
a hassle to administer, and also raise both data management and
data integrity issues (viz, if someone whacks/forges data in the
LDAP server, and gnucash was using this data to mail invoices...
ouch).  So gnucash needs to store its own private copy of audited,
vetted, trusted, 'gaurenteed correct' address data within itself.

But it would be nice to use an evolution bonobo plugin to view
that data, and so evolution would act as 'client', gnucash
as 'server'.

--linas

(p.s. the data integrity issue is real. My ISP had a problem like
this, mishandled billing for nearly 3 months.  It took customers
a month to receive their bank statements, notice something was
wrong, start complaining to the ISP, before things started getting
fixed.  So if your ldap server is serving up corrupt data, don't
assume you'll just catch it in an hour or two; it could go
undetected until a lot of damage has been done.)

--
Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/